Monday, June 4, 2012

New sources!

Because of this blog, I've been contacted by a woman who is descended from Benjamin Adamson's second wife, Sarah Browne Adamson, but through her first husband, John Higgins Armstrong. So, something like fourth half-cousins. She told me that Sarah Adamson wrote a diary for 33 years, giving a day-to-day account of pioneer life in early Ohio and Iowa. The original diaries are in Ohio and Iowa historical societies. I want to get copies of these diaries for the Adamson book project, so I'm going to contact the museums to see if they have electronic copies.

She also had handwritten pages from an Adamson/Armstrong record book, which she thinks was originally started by Sarah, based on the handwriting. This record contains data on Benjamin's first set of children with Susannah Pool. It also contains children and dates that I've never seen, such as the two Susannah Adamson's, one who was born in 1806 and died in 1808, and one who was born in 1809, married Charles A. Moore, and died in 1872. This record has filed in a lot of gaps in my notes. Thank you, J.

So the research for the book proceeds. I'd really like to get more information on the children of Benjamin and his first wife. These have been the big gap from previous Adamson books.

No comments:

Post a Comment